The Winnipeg-Central Business and Professional Women hosted a Benefit for the Joy Smith Foundation, established in 2011 by Joy Smith. The Foundation “works to ensure that every Canadian man, woman and child is safe from manipulation, force, or abuse of power designed to lure and exploit them into the sex trade or forced labour.”
Joy is a former teacher, MLA for the Manitoba Government, and Member of Parliament. She is known as a leading advocate against human trafficking and a champion of women’s rights. She volunteers her time tirelessly in combatting human trafficking and fighting for the rights of women in Canada and around the globe.
The Foundation’s mandate is to educate the public, and provide funds and support to front-line organizations that rescue and rehabilitate victims, and organizations that safeguard all Canadians from human trafficking.
Learn the Facts:
- The magnitude of human trafficking in Canada: sex trafficking is not a third world issue, but overwhelmingly takes place in Canada’s own backyard, including Manitoba.
- That human trafficking is a billion dollar business and one of organized crime’s “fastest growing enterprises in the world.”
- The human cost, which Pope Francis described in a 2014 address on Human Trafficking as “…a crime against humanity.”
- How to keep ourselves and especially our children and grandchildren safe from predators.
- How to take action and raise awareness in Winnipeg.
WORKING TOGETHER WE CAN END HUMAN TRAFFICKING