The Business and Professional Women’s Club of Selkirk (BPW Selkirk & District) strives to develop the professional, leadership and business potential of women on all levels through advocacy, mentoring, personal development, networking, skill building and economic empowerment programs and projects, both locally and around the world.
BPW Selkirk is and has always been active in supporting women and women’s issues in our own community while also supporting the National programs and projects through physical participation and resolutions that were Nationally directed.
Chartered in May 1 of 1952, BPW Selkirk( & District) is part of The Canadian Federation of Business and Professional Women’s Clubs (BPW Canada) as well as being part of the International Federation of Business and Professional Women, with clubs in more than 100 countries around the world. Our International Federation has Category I Consultative Status at the United Nations.
BPW Selkirk supports: the local Women’s shelter through hampers and assisting with their Christmas dinner for families; Women returning to school by giving a bursary; Women who have given to the community by recognizing their endeavours with a Woman of the year award; Literacy programs by partnering in fundraising events with Literacy and other volunteer organizations and through the years have supported individual BPW members in facing challenges arising in their workplaces and in the community.
Our National membership model revolves around four key areas of activity, including:
- Awareness, advocacy and action
- Leadership skills and career advancement
- Personal Development
- Supportive networking and lasting friendships
BPW Selkirk & District follows the National mandate which is to develop the professional & leadership potential of women, but working locally, in our community, we focus on the following:
- Women in Politics - Encourage all women to get out and vote and help them to understand their voice counts, also encouraging women who wish to become involved in politics.
- Individually - Encourage, guide and support all women, enabling them to reach their goals.
- Women’s Empowerment - We want to help women feel they can make a difference and that their opinion counts. We will continue to do this offering our various modules, women speakers who have a message that will encourage other women through their examples of self improvement, self awareness and whose own empowerment overcame and conquered.
We are Women working for Women!